|Air date||March 28, 2010|
|Written by||Alexandra Zarowny|
|Directed by||Laurie Lynd|
|Guest Stars|| Sergio DiZio as Leonard Winters|
Angela Vint as Miriam Winters
Mark Cavan as Eugene Anderson
Zoie Palmer as Katie Powers
|Recurring||Lachlan Murdoch as Henry Higgins|
|Previous||"The Great Wall"|
|Next||"Rich Boy, Poor Boy"|
"Victor, Victorian" is the third episode of the third season of the Murdoch Mysteries and the twenty-ninth episode of the series. It first aired on March 28, 2010.
A new member of Masonic lodge dies during his initiation. When Julia Ogden conducts a postmortem, she discovers that "he" is a woman. Suspicion initially falls on the treasurer of the lodge because another member, Leonard Winters, tells Murdoch that he had asked the dead "man" to try to examine the lodge's books. Julia goes "undercover" and learns that a club of women, led by Katie Powers and concealed behind a women's basketball team, dresses as men to experience the freedom that men enjoy.
Murdoch finds that Leonard Winters had often invited the dead man to his home. Mrs. Winters discovered that the man was a women and the two grew close. Mr. Winters, fearing that his wife was having an affair, contrived to kill the woman he still thought was a man.
Character Revelations Edit
- George Crabtree and Thomas Brackenreid are both members of a local Masonic lodge; George holds a higher position than Brackenreid.
- Julia Ogden plays basketball.
- William and Julia's romance stumbles when William does not actively support her in an argument with Brackenreid. He later explains that he remained silent because she is strong and for him to intervene would have weakened her in Brackenreid's eyes.
Historical References Edit
- The episode title is a reference to the 1982 Julie Andrews film "Victor Victoria".
- Dr. Ogden tells the other women that her basketball skills were learned as a girl from her brothers. Based on Dr. Ogden's age, that would have had to be 15 to 20 years earlier. AS the episode takes place in the late 1890s, that would have been impossible. Basketball wasn't invented until 1891, and women's basketball didn't develop until 1892, Ogden could not have played in a decade earlier.
Kevin Dennis as Victor/Grace Reid
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 3|
| "The Murdoch Identity" • "The Great Wall" • "Victor, Victorian" • "Rich Boy, Poor Boy" • "Me, Myself and Murdoch" • "This One Goes to Eleven" • "Blood and Circuses" • "Future Imperfect" • "Love and Human Remains" • "The Curse of Beaton Manor" • "Hangman" • "In the Altogether" • "The Tesla Effect"|
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7