|"Unlucky In Love"|
|Air date||February 1, 2016|
|Written by||Lori Spring|
|Directed by||Cal Coons|
|Previous||A Case of The Yips|
The electrocution of an elderly groom leads on his wedding day leads Murdoch to suspect the bride, whose four previous husbands died under suspicious circumstances – a black widow? Meanwhile, things don't seem to be going well for Crabtree as he teaches his first writing course, until an energetic young Lucy Maud Montgomery from Prince Edward Island joins the class.
Elizabeth, née Drabble, married the first time to Paul Durrell who died in a fall off of a bridge. Husband number two, Lucas Gibson died in a hunting accident. Third husband Thomas McEwan's charred remains were found in a fishing lodge that burned down. Her most recent last name came from Bernard Cummersworth who died after a piano that was being moved fell on top of him. And now, number five, Oliver Pym, by electrocution. Elizabeth Pym is either the unluckiest woman in the world or one very competent murderess. Murdoch suspects the latter.
- George Crabtree teaches a writing class for the first time.
- For all their knowledge, William and Julia have no idea when "children are supposed to walk."
- Margaret Brackenreid launches a wedding planning business.
- George was found on the church steps "in a carpet bag with all his possessions."
- George Crabtree and Anne of Green Gables are much alike: a spunky orphan, found in a carpetbag, who's prone to flights of fancy.
- Margaret had planned William and Julia's wedding in Holy Matrimony, Murdoch!
- Little Roland continues to go to work with his parents, being "watched" by members of the team when duty calls the Detective and the Doctor. During his turn, Inspector Brackenreid asks the little fella, "Promise me you won't grow up to be like those two."
- Murdoch performs a mental "Bertillon" comparison (ep 807) of the man in the photo and the florist he met and a hi-res fingerprint match.
- Lucy Maud Montgomery OBE (November 30, 1874 – April 24, 1942), publicly known as L. M. Montgomery, was a Canadian author best known for a series of novels beginning in 1908 with Anne of Green Gables. George's story suggestions for Maud's novel: add dead bodies, ghosts and change the title to "Dan of Green Gables".
- The term photo-macrograph was proposed in 1899 by W. H. Walmsley for close-up images with less than 10 diameters magnification, to distinguish from true photo-micrographs.
- Filmed on location at Chedoke Estate in Hamilton, Ontario.
- Crabtree's critique points out every reason why some found Anne of Green Gables rather dull in school.
- The scenes which George shares with Maud Montgomery feature a score unique from the rest of the episode. This score is similar to the scores used in the 1985 film Anne of Green Gables and the television series Road to Avonlea, both based on the works of Lucy Maud Montgomery, and both of which originally aired on the CBC.
- Additionally, actress Mag Ruffman appears in the episode as a student in George's class. Ruffman portrayed Alice Lawson in the 1985 Anne of Green Gables film and its 1987 sequel Anne of Avonlea, but is best known for her role as Olivia King Dale on Road to Avonlea.
- End title card: Despite the story you have just seen there is no evidence to suggest that Lucy Maud Montgomery met Constable George Crabtree or that her work was influenced by him. (He's not real).
- Actress Leslie Hope, who plays Mrs. Elizabeth Pym, directed Dial M for Murdoch back in Season 4 and is the director of the next episode Colour Blinded.
- Actress Mimi Kuzyk is the mother of Arwen Humphreys' agent's assistant Kali, who by the way is the best according to Arwen.
- MM Designer Alexander Reda is nominated for the 2017 Canadian Screen Awards' Best Costume Design for Unlucky In Love.
The wedding vows to the bride were, "Will you love him, honour him, and keep him in sickness and in health...", whereas at the turn of the last century, the bride's vows were always "Love, honour and obey". To change the words and omit "obey" would have been scandalous at the time.
Leslie Hope as Elizabeth Cummersworth (Pym)
Alison Louder as Lucy Maud Montgomery
Mimi Kuzyk as Judith Baxter
Mag Ruffman as Eunice
Richard Stewart as Samuel Birkett
W. Joseph Matheson as Fergus Dexter
Dan Abramovici as Mr. Power
Tim Walker as Mr. Jarvis
Ian Matheson as Minister
Andy Pogson as Howard
Thom Vernon as Raymond
Dennis Cutts as Oliver Pym
Sochi Fried as Doris Pym
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 9|
| "Nolo Contendere" • "Marked Twain" • "Double Life" • "Barenaked Ladies" • "24 Hours Til Doomsday" • "The Local Option" • "Summer of '75" • "Pipe Dreamzzz" • "Raised On Robbery" • "The Big Chill" • "A Case of The Yips" • "Unlucky In Love" • "Colour Blinded" • "Wild Child" • "House of Industry" • "Bl..dy H.ll" • "From Buffalo With Love" • "Cometh the Archer"|
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7 • Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10