|"The Prince and the Rebel"|
|Air date||April 6, 2008|
|Written by||Alexandra Zarowny|
|Directed by||John L'Ecuyer|
|Guest Stars|| Chris Gascoyne as David Jennings|
Vincent Walsh as Eddie Cullen
|Recurring|| Lachlan Murdoch as Constable Higgins|
Chad Connell as Prince Alfred
|Next||"The Annoying Red Planet"|
With the visit of Queen Victoria's grandson, Prince Alfred, to Toronto, Detective Murdoch and Constable Crabtree are put in charge of security. The Prince is a bon vivant who is particularly fond of parties and pretty girls but his aide, David Jennings, is hard-nosed and demanding. When the police find a dead girl in the park, her tattoos reveal that she may have been a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood and there may in fact be a plot against the Prince. Murdoch also runs into to an old friend from their days at the seminary who may, or may not, have Republican sympathies as well.
- In the episode's final scene, Julia tries to hide her tears from William, relieved that he survived the fire unlike his friend who had a change of heart and died heroically. When he asks her if it was something he said, she confesses "No, William. I'm just glad you're here " and continues tending to his burns.
- Murdoch and Dr. Ogden continue working well as a team, as the slow burn continues.
- Alfred, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, born Prince Alfred of Edinburgh (Alfred Alexander William Ernest Albert on 15 October 1874). His father was Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, second eldest son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. History does not record him ever visiting Canada.
- The Cardan Grille Cipher was first proposed by Girolamo Cardano in 1550.
- One of the items on the Prince's itinerary ia a concert at Massey Hall.
- Chris Gacoyne, who plays David Jennings, is well known in the United Kingdom for playing Peter Barlow on the soap Coronation Street; Thomas Craig similarly starred in Coronation Street before moving to Canada to play Inspector Brackenreid.
- "Me Ol' Mucker" Count: 0
- When viewing this episode, it may run only to the scene (closeup on Murdoch) before the very last scene (Julia and William, see photo below) because there is a blackout transition between the two shots that goes on a few seconds longer than typical which causes auto-play/record to cut-off. In general, if the final scene does not immediately fade to the end credit music with production credits it's been truncated.
Robyn Thaler Hickey as Maggie Gilpatrick
Michael Hanrahan as Daniel Gilpatrick
Amber Cull as Ann Ryan
Kenneth Delaney as John Tucker
Melissa Kramer as Dancing Girl
Ashleigh Hubbard as Dancing Girl
Tijana Arnautovic as Dancing Girl (uncredited)
- Queen Victoria
- Irish Republican Brotherhood
- Queen's Hotel
- Father O'Brien
- Cardan Grille Cipher
- Abigail Cullen
- Katie Cullen
- Queen's Park
- Toronto Gazette
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 1|
| "Power" • "The Glass Ceiling" • "The Knockdown" • "Elementary, My Dear Murdoch" • "'Til Death Do Us Part" • "Let Loose the Dogs" • "Body Double" • "Still Waters" • "Belly Speaker" • "Child's Play" • "Bad Medicine" • "The Prince and the Rebel" • "The Annoying Red Planet"|
Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7• Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10