|Air date||January 23, 2017|
|Written by||Maureen Jennings|
|Directed by||Renuka Jeyapalan|
|Previous||A Murdog Mystery|
|Next||Mr. Murdoch's Neighbourhood|
Twenty years after a child was kidnapped, Murdoch investigates the identity of a man now claiming to be the wealthy heir.
The kidnapped Adam Gordon was in the care of his grandmother who provided the $500 ransom, but the money was never collected and the boy was never found. Thus, it has long been suspected that the boy had been killed, until now.
Over the years, reports kept trickling in: one person even claimed they'd seen the boy in South Africa. The frequency of the reports rose each time Mrs. Gordon placed her annual advertisement with people looking to get their hands on their share of the reward money. Crabtree observes that "We're not always the most noble of species, are we, sir?" Murdoch agrees but adds, "A fact that keeps you and me employed."
Meanwhile, Detective Watts and Constable Jackson continue their search for the missing women.
No sooner has the likely grandson returned than the buried remains of a young boy are discovered, followed by the decomposed body of Irving Moses, a squatter who had stayed on the land near where the dead boy was found. A shooting accident on the day of "Adam Gordon's" welcome-home party leads to revelations that Murdoch uses to solve the kidnapping and Moses' murder and to reveal the idenity of the buried child.
- Both Detective Watts and Constable Jackson reveal a past tragedy which strengthens their partnership and their resolve to find the missing women.
- George confesses to Murdoch, "I have to admit, as an orphan, I was somewhat tempted to respond to them [advertisements] myself. I mean, I had a fine upbringing, but the thought of not only being reunited with a loving family, but being made lord of a manor, having servants waiting on you hand and foot..."
- George Crabtree struggles with the biggest mystery of all: his love life. Higgins tells him to talk to Nina.
- Detective Watts, teaming with Jackson, continues his investigation into the missing women case, started in A Murdog Mystery with the single clue: "a tall blonde woman in her middle years."
- Crabtree is off to the woods for a good old fashion dig yet again, uncovering human bones and a child's skull.
- As in Jagged Little Pill, Miss James is on a mission– to identity the poor lad and her persistence pays off and helps Murdoch with Gordon case.
- George and Nina are still apart. Since he is indeed "unencumbered" as reported to be by Miss Cherry, he takes up her invitation to have a cup of tea (off-camera) by the end of the episode.
- Necropolis Cemetery is a historic cemetery in Toronto, located on the west side of the Don Valley near Riverdale Farm. Opened in 1850 to replace "Strangers' Burying Ground" (or Potter's Field), the cemetery is the resting place for many prominent individuals.
- Before Alec Jeffrey's eureka moment in 1984, when genetic variations in DNA could identify individuals, crime investigations were deductions and guesswork; hereditary mechanism were based mostly on logic and speculation as in Dr. Ogden's comparing physical features of the Gordon family.
- MM Fans know Maureen Jennings created Detective William Murdoch and his world, and she concocted this episode.
- Twist after twist, it is not until 20 minutes into the episode the first death is discovered, then followed by a second attempt.
- Modern human genetics is traced to the beginning of the 20th Century to just two key individuals: Austrian physician Karl Landsteiner who in 1900 discovered the ABO blood group system (ep.702), the first example of a variable human characteristic that is inherited according to the simple rules of Mendel, and English physician Sir Archibald Garrod with the first example of a human inherited disease which similarly showed Mendelian inheritance in 1902.
- This is the seventh episode in Season 10 in which Thomas Craig (Thomas Brackenreid) does not appear.
- After digging, Constable George Crabtree's shirt is pristine.
- The skull of the child has adult teeth
Deborah Grover as Adelia Gordon
Jeff Geddis as Jonah Foster
Gordon Hecht as Albert Slaight
Rohan Mead as Adam Gordon
Jane Sowerby as Edna Bergman
Danny Waugh as Breydon O'Donnell
Jonathan Robbins as Norman Bruce
Anton Chevrier as Young Adam Gordon
Christopher Calvelli as Young Jonah Foster
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 10|
| "Great Balls of Fire, Part 1" • "Great Balls of Fire, Part 2" • "A Study in Pink" • "Concocting A Killer" • "Jagged Little Pill" • "Bend It Like Brackenreid" • "Painted Ladies" • "Weekend at Murdoch's" • "Excitable Chap" • "The Devil Inside" • "A Murdog Mystery" • "The Missing" • "Mr. Murdoch's Neighbourhood" • "From Murdoch to Eternity" • "Hades Hath No Fury" • "Master Lovecraft" • "Hot Wheels of Thunder" • "Hell to Pay" • |
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7 • Season 8 • Season 9• Season 10