|"The Black Hand"|
|Air date||August 3, 2011|
|Written by||Cal Coons|
|Directed by||Don McCutcheon|
|Recurring|| Lisa Faulkner as Anna Fulford|
Ephraim Ellis as Patrick Glynn
|Previous||"Dial M for Murdoch"|
"The Black Hand" is the ninth episode of the fourth season of the Murdoch Mysteries and the forty-eighth episode of the series.
Det. Murdoch investigates the shooting death of a New York City man on a Toronto streetcar. He was shot in the stomach but no one heard a shot. Back at the station, he's surprised to find his friend from Bristol, Anna Fulford, who has come to Toronto via New York city with her fiancé and are on their way to Niagara Falls to be married. He's vanished however and Anna is naturally worried. Soon after confirming that the dead man is not her fiancé, someone takes a shot at her. After making enquiries with the New York City police, Murdoch learns of a new kind of criminal organization known as the Black Hand. Insp. Brackeneid meanwhile is uncomfortable when his political backer orders him to get rid of a band of gypsies that are camping in the woods.
Character Revelations Edit
- Upon meeting Anna, Julia tells William she's lovely and offers the safety of her own home for Anna to stay.
- Anna reveals to Julia that she lost two men in one year - the first in Bristol but " his heart belonged to another" (meaning William) and now Joe her fiancé.
- Inspired by another inventor’s efforts to muffle the sound of internal combustion motors, Detective Murdoch crafts this attachment to help solve the mysterious shooting in which no one heard the shot. He calls it a “muffler” but Constable Crabtree says that “silencer” has a better ring to it.
Historical References Edit
- Murdoch mentions the Black Hand having its roots in Sicily ( referring to the Sicilian Mafia of the 19th century ) but has been moving into New York City's Italian community.
- Murdoch and Dr. Ogden work on solving the murder of a man on a streetcar (of the period), filmed at the Halton County Radial Railway Museum in Milton which is about 42km (26 miles) from Hamilton, Murdoch Mysteries favorite filming location.
- Allusions to Sherlock Holmes stories: "The Valley of Fear", "The Adventures of the Dancing Men", and "The Sign of the Four" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
- In one shot Murdoch's bike has a lamp on the front and in the next shot it doesn't.
- In one scene, Murdoch is wearing a flesh colored band-aid, not invented until the 50's.
Main Cast Edit
Recurring Cast Edit
Guest Starring Edit
Other Cast Edit
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 4|
| "All Tattered and Torn" • "Kommando" • "Buffalo Shuffle" • "Downstairs, Upstairs" • "Monsieur Murdoch" • "Dead End Street" • "Confederate Treasure" • "Dial M for Murdoch" • "The Black Hand" • "Voices" • "Bloodlust" • "The Kissing Bandit" • "Murdoch in Wonderland"|
Web-Series: The Curse of the Lost Pharaohs
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7