|Air date||November 30, 2015|
|Written by||Michelle Ricci|
|Directed by||Don McBrearty|
|Previous||Summer of '75|
|Next||Raised On Robbery|
"Pipe Dreamzzz" is the eighth episode of Season 9 and the one hundredth twenty-second of the series. It first aired on November 30, 2015.
Murdoch and Ogden investigate the puzzling death of a student in a professor's opium den.
In the morgue with Dr. Ogden and Miss James, Constable Crabtree presents the victim's movements 24 hrs prior to his death along with possible evidence: Starting the evening prior, Mr. Sutton eat dinner at home with his father, roast beef. He had coughing fits through the night which woke his father. In the morning, he declined breakfast, having only tea. He then attended classes and had lunch with Professor Lawrence in the faculty lounge. He continued on to Prof. Lawrence's home and dined with other students, where they continued to smoke opium.
If he was poisoned, without any injection marks on his body, he had to have ingested the poison, concludes Dr. Ogden. Having already tested the opium, which contained no impurities, Rebecca suggests the pipe may contain the lethal poison.
Then, the question is who wanted Byron Sutton dead and Professor Lawrence blamed?
- Cut dialogue for time, the gift of the gab . . .
- Rebecca James once took laudanum (tincture of opium, the equivalent of 1% morphine) for pain when she broke her leg.
- Allusions to two previous episodes The Green Muse (in the name of science experiment, Green Fairy or "la fée verte") and The Curse of Beaton Manor (The poison of the puffer fish can paralyze the diaphragm and slow the heart rate to almost zero).
- William and Julia try another experiment together, this time with the brown fairy.
Historical References Edit
- Opium was legal in Canada until the Opium Act of 1908. Opium was called "La fée brune" in French (The Brown Fairy). It was hugely popular in Paris at the turn of the 19th century.
- The poorest/cheapest dens used the "dross" or the residue scraped off the bowl of the pipe, then restocked.
- Writer Michelle Ricci learned so much from researching this episode. What she thought she already knew about opium was mostly wrong - all movie misinformation.
- This is the last new episode before CBC's holiday programming schedule starts in December, but A Merry Murdoch Christmas, the two-hour holiday special, will air on December 21st (Canada and UK on Alibi ).
- The drawing on the blackboard of the smoking pipe was seen on the blackboard on fan day earlier in the year. This is due to the episode being filmed at the time the fan day was held.
Recurring Cast Edit
Guest Cast Edit
Scott McCord as Professor Aldous Lawrence
Haley McGee as Susan Trent
Kjarten Hewitt as Matthew Trent
Pauline Wong as Ling Lawrence
Wayne Burns as Gregory Cummings
David Jansen as Dr. Lewis Sutton
Jane Luk as Chinese Apothecary
Peter Sowagi as Byron Sutton
Uncredited Cast Edit
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 9|
| "Nolo Contendere" • "Marked Twain" • "Double Life" • "Barenaked Ladies" • "24 Hours Til Doomsday" • "The Local Option" • "Summer of '75" • "Pipe Dreamzzz" • "Raised On Robbery" • "The Big Chill" • "A Case of The Yips" • "Unlucky In Love" • "Colour Blinded" • "Wild Child" • "House Of Industry" • "Bl..dy H.ll" • "From Buffalo With Love" • "Cometh the Archer" • |
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7 • Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10