|"Murdoch in Wonderland"|
|Air date||August 31, 2011|
|Written by|| Paul Aitken|
|Directed by||Cal Coons|
|Recurring|| Arwen Humphreys as Margaret Brackenreid |
Sarah Gadon as Ruby Ogden
Nigel Bennett as Chief Constable Giles
|Previous||"The Kissing Bandit"|
|Next||"Murdoch of the Klondike"|
"Murdoch in Wonderland" is the thirteenth episode of the fourth season of the Murdoch Mysteries and the fifty-second episode of the series. It first aired on August 31, 2011.
With the wedding of Dr. Ogden and Dr. Darcy Garland just days away, Detective Murdoch awakens from a drugged stupor at a crime scene to find that he is the prime suspect in the murder of Randolph Littlefair, the guest of honour at the previous night's Alice in Wonderland costume party. Inspector Brackenreid believes Murdoch was framed, but when Station House 3's Inspector Giles (Nigel Bennett) is handed the case, Giles orders Murdoch jailed until the truth is known. Giles interrogates Murdoch about the party, but nothing in Murdoch's hazy memory can exonerate him. The case against him grows even stronger when it is learned he arrested Littlefair years earlier. The fact that Littlefair wasn't convicted suggests Murdoch took the law into his own hands. To discover the truth, Murdoch escapes from jail to look for the one guest at the party who knew Littlefair back then as well. Meanwhile, Ruby Ogden discovers that Murdoch had intended to propose to her sister, Julia, throwing Julia into emotional turmoil hours before her wedding. When Julia sends an impassioned note to Murdoch, where she asks him to tell her how he really feels before she says her vows, he decides not to and allows her to continue with her marriage. Feeling guilt over his mistake from 12 years ago, Murdoch frees Constance from her cell, alerting her that the other officers are attending a wedding ceremony and giving her money to escape to Windsor. When Inspector Brackenreid returns, he tells Murdoch that the latter is suspended for just three weeks for breaking out of prison; however, Murdoch tells him he has done something much worse and recommends that Brackenreid pour him a drink, which alerts Brackenreid to the seriousness of the issue.
Character Revelations Edit
- Murdoch quits his job and leaves Toronto.
- Julia is married to Dr. Garland, though she knows about Murdoch's love.
- Last appearance of Ruby Ogden.
- Julia Ogden and Darcy Garland get married in this episode.
- The last episode Chief Constable Stockton is mentioned in before he retired from that position.
Historical References Edit
- The theme of the party is based on Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland.
- Julia states Murdoch was drugged with Mescaline, a drug from peyote which was first isolated in 1897 by Arthur Heffter.
- The Lewis Carroll party's outdoor scenes were filmed at Ruthven Park near Cayuga.
- Fans of the TV series Forever Knight will recognize a few familiar elements from the Alice in Wonderland-themed episode "Curiouser and Curiouser". That episode was written by Murdoch Mysteries executive producers Phil Bedard and Larry Lalonde. "Murdoch in Wonderland" also includes the first appearance on Murdoch Mysteries of Nigel Bennett, one of the lead actors on Forever Knight. (Geraint Wyn Davies and Catherine Disher appeared in earlier episodes of Murdoch Mysteries.)
Main Cast Edit
Recurring Cast Edit
Guest Starring Edit
Tamara Gorski as Constance Gardiner / Ava Moon
Debra McCabe as Ellenor Littlefair
Ashley Wright as Randolph Littlefair / Michael Cudmore
Terry Jones as Bradley Reda
Sally Cahill as Alexandra Reda
David Macniven as Jack Reda
Mickey MacDonald as Tweedledee
Mark MacDonald as Tweedledum
Brendan Beiser as Albert Wallace
Jonathan Hagey as Minister
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 4|
| "All Tattered and Torn" • "Kommando" • "Buffalo Shuffle" • "Downstairs, Upstairs" • "Monsieur Murdoch" • "Dead End Street" • "Confederate Treasure" • "Dial M for Murdoch" • "The Black Hand" • "Voices" • "Bloodlust" • "The Kissing Bandit" • "Murdoch in Wonderland"|
Web-Series: The Curse of the Lost Pharaohs
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7