|"Murdoch in Wonderland"|
|Air date||August 31, 2011 (Canada)|
|Written by|| Paul Aitken|
|Directed by||Cal Coons|
|Recurring|| Arwen Humphreys as Margaret Brackenreid |
Sarah Gadon as Ruby Ogden
Nigel Bennett as Chief Constable Giles
|Previous||The Kissing Bandit|
|Next||Murdoch of the Klondike|
A man is found murdered at a Lewis Carroll costume party. All clues point to the Mad Hatter; Murdoch was dressed as the Mad Hatter. Upon solving this crime, Murdoch does not attend Dr.Ogden's wedding and is suspended three weeks with a reprimand.
With the wedding of Dr. Ogden and Dr. Darcy Garland just days away, Detective Murdoch awakens from a drugged stupor at a crime scene to find that he is the prime suspect in the murder of Randolph Littlefair, the guest of honour at the previous night's Alice in Wonderland costume party. Inspector Brackenreid believes Murdoch was framed, but when Station House No. 3's Inspector Giles is handed the case, Giles orders Murdoch jailed until the truth is known. Giles interrogates Murdoch about the party, but nothing in Murdoch's hazy memory can exonerate him. The case against him grows even stronger when it is learned he arrested Littlefair years earlier. The fact that Littlefair wasn't convicted suggests Murdoch took the law into his own hands. To discover the truth, Murdoch escapes from jail to look for the one guest at the party who knew Littlefair back then as well.
Meanwhile, Ruby Ogden discovers that Murdoch had intended to propose to her sister, Julia, throwing Julia into emotional turmoil hours before her wedding. Julia leaves an impassioned note for Murdoch, asking him to tell her his true feelings before she says her vows.
Feeling guilt over his mistake from 12 years ago, Murdoch frees Constance from her cell, alerting her that the other officers are attending a wedding ceremony, and giving her money to escape to Windsor. When Inspector Brackenreid returns, he tells Murdoch that the latter is suspended for just three weeks for breaking out of prison; however, Murdoch tells him he has done something much worse and recommends that Brackenreid pour them both a drink, which alerts Brackenreid to the seriousness of the situation.
- While serving at Station House No. 1, Murdoch's duty to the law and his zealous commitment to telling the truth cost his witness Ava Moon her good looks, her career as an actress and her dreams of having children.
- Believing it is one mistake he can set right, Murdoch releases Constance Gardiner. She points out that it will cost him his career, Murdoch replies, "You'll never know what it's cost me."
- When William doesn't show up at the wedding to stop her, Julia keeps her promise to Darcy Garland and marries him.
- Inspector Giles of Station House No. 3 is given complete authority over the investigation.
- After interviewing Dr. Ogden, Inspector Giles forbids her from having any further contact with Murdoch.
- The last episode Chief Constable Stockton is mentioned before he retired from that position.
- This is the beginning of Giles' quest to get the righteous Murdoch to confess to his crime.
- The theme of the party is based on Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland.
- Julia states Murdoch was drugged with Mescaline, a drug from peyote which was first isolated in 1897 by Arthur Heffter.
- Last appearance of Ruby Ogden.
- The Lewis Carroll party's outdoor scenes were filmed at Ruthven Park near Cayuga.
- Fans of the TV series Forever Knight will recognize a few familiar elements from the Alice in Wonderland-themed episode "Curiouser and Curiouser". That episode was written by Murdoch Mysteries executive producers Phil Bedard and Larry Lalonde. "Murdoch in Wonderland" also includes the first appearance on Murdoch Mysteries of Nigel Bennett, one of the lead actors on Forever Knight. (Geraint Wyn Davies and Catherine Disher appeared in earlier episodes of Murdoch Mysteries.)
Tamara Gorski as Constance Gardiner / Ava Moon
Debra McCabe as Ellenor Littlefair
Ashley Wright as Randolph Littlefair / Michael Cudmore
Terry Jones as Bradley Reda
Sally Cahill as Alexandra Reda
David Macniven as Jack Reda Mickey MacDonald as Tweedledee
Mark MacDonald as Tweedledum
Brendan Beiser as Albert Wallace
Jonathan Hagey as Minister
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 4|
| "All Tattered and Torn" • "Kommando" • "Buffalo Shuffle" • "Downstairs, Upstairs" • "Monsieur Murdoch" • "Dead End Street" • "Confederate Treasure" • "Dial M for Murdoch" • "The Black Hand" • "Voices" • "Bloodlust" • "The Kissing Bandit" • "Murdoch in Wonderland"|
Web-Series: The Curse of the Lost Pharaohs
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7• Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10