|"Murdoch in Toyland"|
|Air date||August 14, 2012|
|Written by||Graham Clegg|
|Directed by||Cal Coons|
|Recurring|| Paul Amos as Dr. Roberts |
John Tench as Alexander Graham Bell
Michael Seater as James Gillies
Marc Bendavid as Robert Perry (archive footage)
|Previous||"Staircase to Heaven"|
|Next||"Murdoch Night in Canada"|
"Murdoch in Toyland" is the eleventh episode of the fifth season of the Murdoch Mysteries and the sixty-first episode of the series. It first aired on August 14, 2012.
Detective Murdoch investigates the apparent kidnapping of a child, Veronica Bowden, where a talking doll is left in her bed. When he winds up the toy, it mentions Murdoch by name and asks if he wants to play. Murdoch traces the doll to a blonde woman living in a hotel where he surprisingly finds Veronica safe and sound. She has a doll for him that has yet another message for the detective. Dr. Julia Ogden drops in at the station unexpectedly and suggests that someone Murdoch may have previously arrested is now out for revenge.
Character Revelations Edit
- A sinister revenge plot against Murdoch is set into motion by James Gillies.
- George asks Brackenreid why the Detective and the Doctor, who are perfectly suited for each other can't seem to get together and that it's heartbreaking.
- Dr. Ogden returns to Station House No. 4. to see how Murdoch is faring to his delight.
- There is a flashback to "Big Murderer on Campus".
Historical References Edit
- References to Edison's talking dolls (recorded cylinders) throughout the episode.
- Alexander Graham Bell who is visiting Toronto helps Murdoch
- On the list that was written up on Murdoch's chalkboard, James Gillies is labeled as "Jailed" as opposed to "Hanged." But that could have been because they hadn't yet been informed of Gillies' supposed execution.
- Robertson screws on the hinges of the police wagon door taking Gillies away. These were not yet invented in 1899, having been manufactured for the first time in 1908.
- Murdoch, Brackenreid, and Crabtree dig up Julia's coffin as she has been buried alive and is rapidly running out of air. When they get the lid off the coffin in the nick of time, it is obvious that the earth on the left side of the coffin has been excavated. They would have no reason to dig the sides out as all they wanted to do is get off the lid in order to give Julia the air she needs to survive. In addition, the excavated space is too narrow for a shovel to fit.
Main Cast Edit
Recurring Cast Edit
Guest Cast Edit
Sarah Manninen as Verna Bowden
Kevin MacDonald as Dean Bowden
Veronica Denson as Veronica Bowden
Morgan Kelly as Wade Carson
Katherine Barrell as Marley Rosevear
Sarah Podemski as Mrs. Shoucair
Other Cast Edit
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 5|
| "Murdoch of the Klondike" • "Back and to the Left" • "Evil Eye of Egypt" • "War on Terror" • "Murdoch at the Opera" • "Who Killed the Electric Carriage?" • "Stroll on the Wild Side (Part 1)" • "Stroll on the Wild Side (Part 2)" • "Invention Convention" • "Staircase to Heaven" • "Murdoch in Toyland" • "Murdoch Night in Canada" • "Twentieth Century Murdoch"|
Web-Series: The Murdoch Effect
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 6 • Season 7