|"Loch Ness Murdoch"|
|Air date||November 18, 2013|
|Written by||Michelle Ricci|
|Directed by||Cal Coons|
|Recurring|| Giacomo Gianniotti as Leslie Garland|
Lachlan Murdoch as Henry Higgins
|Next||Republic of Murdoch|
"Loch Ness Murdoch" is the seventh episode of the seventh season of the Murdoch Mysteries and the eighty-fifth episode of the series. It first aired November 18, 2013.
A summer heat wave finds much of Toronto taking refuge at the beach including Inspector Brackenreid and Dr. Ogden, but when a body marked by a large bite washes ashore, rumours of a sea monster quickly spreads across the city.
Detective Murdoch investigates the death of Katie Buchanan who is found dead at the beach by her friend Elaine Lawson. Both are entrants in a beauty pageant known as the "Miss Purity" competition, to select the new face of Alexander soap. Dr. Ogden, who is spending her day off at the beach finds what appears to be a large animal bite on the woman's torso.
Katie's boyfriend, James Bennett, had recently left her for another competitor, Marie Nicholson and becomes a prime suspect. Inspector Brackenreid however is certain he saw a monster in Lake Ontario while Murdoch is skeptical until he too sees a creature in the water. Constable Crabtree is dismissive of any suggestion that there might be a monster in the lake and thinks it's far more likely that one of the Miss Purity contestants is involved. "It's quite a prize, and women can be very competitive."
Character Revelations Edit
- George Crabtree believes in zombies, werewolves, vampires, Martians, Venusians, curses, voodoo, ghosts, and, apparently, sea monsters, but not a creature in Lake Ontario, that both the Inspector and Detective Murdoch have witnessed. George just can't imagine anything so dastardly living in fresh water.
- The world of the dinosaur hunter has fascinated William since childhood (ep 203), so he enjoyed their little project: discovering a new species. Julia reassures him (as she had in Dinosaur Fever ), " William, you'll find your dinosaur yet. I'm sure of it."
- First kiss between William and Julia of the season (if the canoodling in Murdoch Ahoy doesn't count!)
- Leslie Garland and Emily show mutual interest, be it from a distance, at the beach
- George introduces Emily to the snowball straight from the streets of Baltimore.
- George mentions his Aunt Marigold once. . .
Historical References Edit
- Plesiosaurs were among the first fossil reptiles discovered. In the beginning of the nineteenth century, scientists realized how distinctive their build was, they were named as a separate order in 1835. The first plesiosaurian genus, the eponymous Plesiosaurus, was named in 1821. By the early twenty-first century, the number of discoveries had increased, leading to an improved understanding of their anatomy, relationships and way of life.
- Filmed at Fifty Point Conservation Area, Hamilton.
- Richard Waugh who plays Mason Alexander is recast from Season 1; he was Peter Watt in Child's Play.
- An advance screening of this episode was shown on November 17 at 4pm EST at CITF
Main Cast Edit
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 7|
| "Murdoch Ahoy" • "Tour de Murdoch" • "The Filmed Adventures of Detective William Murdoch" • "Return of Sherlock Holmes" • "Murdoch of the Living Dead" • "Murdochophobia" • "Loch Ness Murdoch" • "Republic of Murdoch" • "A Midnight Train to Kingston" • "Murdoch in Ragtime" • "Journey to the Centre of Toronto" • "Unfinished Business" • "The Murdoch Sting"•"Friday the 13th, 1901"•"The Spy Who Came Up to the Cold"•"Kung Fu Crabtree"•"Blast of Silence"•"The Death of Dr. Ogden"|
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7 • Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10