|Air date||December 1, 2014|
|Written by||Carol Hay|
|Directed by||Cal Coons|
|Recurring||David Storch as Thomas Edison|
|Previous||"What Lies Buried"|
|Next||The Keystone Constables|
Detective Murdoch and the constables must investigate Thomas Edison Senior and Thomas Edison Junior when a man is found electrocuted in a hotel room.
Detective Murdoch investigates the apparent murder of an inventor who is found sitting in a chair he invented. That chair was meant to provide a mild electrical current as a rejuvenation technique but Dr. Grace is certain that he was in fact electrocuted. He had a young woman with him the night he died but the investigation leads him to inventor Thomas Edison and the main suspect - his son Thomas Edison Jr.
Meanwhile, the mayor tells Inspector Brackenreid to speak to Murdoch about Julia's plans to run in the upcoming election - fully expecting he will exercise his authority as her husband. Murdoch makes it clear to everyone that he has no intention of interfering and will support Julia in her campaign.
- William is almost more enthusiastic than Julia about her running for office and tells Julia, "Let's not let society constrain us, Julia, no matter what the consequences. We're a modern couple living in a modern world," and adds, "We are husband and wife, we stand together no matter what comes our way."
- For Dr. Grace, Julia is very impressive and has always been an inspiration to her.
- This is the third appearance of Mayor Clarkson, the first was in Murdoch and the Cloud of Doom.
- Julia tells Emily that she is withdrawing from the election, stating "I bring a lot of controversy with me." But when pressed by Emily, she explains, "What I do directly impacts upon William. I have to take that into consideration." Thus, closing the matter.
- This is the second appearance of Mr. Rico, the first was in Murdoch Au Naturel.
- This is the second appearance of Thomas Alva Edison, the first was in The Filmed Adventures of Detective William Murdoch.
- References to various inventions on display at the Medical Exhibition and Emporium in Toronto circa 1902.
- Margaret Haile the first woman to run for legislative office in Canada returns in this episode.
- In a beginning scene where William Murdoch and Julia Ogden are having breakfast, Murdoch grabbed a toasted slice of bread (sliced by the hotel cook, no doubt). Manufactured sliced bread was not sold until 1928.
- The signature of Thomas Alva Edison shown at the beginning of the episode is different than the signature shown to Thomas Edison Sr. later in the episode.
Main Cast Edit
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 8|
| "On the Waterfront Part 1" • "On the Waterfront Part 2" • "Glory Days" • "Holy Matrimony, Murdoch!" • "Murdoch Takes Manhattan" • "The Murdoch Appreciation Society" • "What Lies Buried" • "High Voltage" • "The Keystone Constables" • "Murdoch and the Temple of Death" • "All That Glitters" • "The Devil Wears Whalebone" • "The Incurables" • "Shipwreck" • "Crabtree Mania" • "Toronto's Girl Problem" • "Election Day" • "Artful Detective" • |
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7 • Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10