|Air date||May 9, 2010 (Canada)|
|Written by||Cal Coons|
|Directed by||Cal Coons|
|Guest Stars|| Sarah Gadon as Ruby Ogden|
Kate Greenhouse as Sally Pendrick
Peter Stebbings as James Pendrick
|Recurring||Lachlan Murdoch as Henry Higgins|
|Previous||Blood and Circuses|
|Next||Love and Human Remains|
Detective Murdoch receives a mysterious invitation to attend a reception, with Dr. Ogden, finds himself at a promotional affair hosted by James Pendrick . Murdoch doesn't support the selective breeding philosophy of eugenicists and is leery of Pendrick whom he is convinced had engineered the theft of his own art collection in an insurance scam. He is impressed with the guest of honor however, the renowned author H.G. Wells. When body parts are discovered in a nearby pond, Murdoch has a murder to investigate. The dead man turns out to be a well-known member of the Eugenics Society. Julia Ogden sees her sister Ruby and is somewhat shocked by her dalliance with the often married Wells. Constable Crabtree meanwhile decides to investigate the disappearance of several dogs.
- Ruby Ogden, who has always published under a male pseudonym, decides to write her next story under her own name.
- Ruby takes a romantic interest in George Crabtree.
- George has a keen nose for lilac because his Aunt was fond of lilac.
- Ruby Ogden returns
- This is the second appearance of James and Sally Pendrick
- H. G. Wells is depicted in the episode as a guest speaker at the local eugenics society. At the close of the episode, Wells takes notes for a story about animal experimentation on an island.
- When Murdoch and Brackenreid are discussing eugenics, Brackenreid says that everyone can know the end of keeping pure bloodline. At the same time, he points at the portrait of Queen Victoria. Because of marriages between close relatives, many of men in Royal House of Hanover suffered from Haemophilia, a genetic disorder.
Peter Mikhail as H.G. Wells
David Storch as Dr. Dryus Alger
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 3|
| "The Murdoch Identity" • "The Great Wall" • "Victor, Victorian" • "Rich Boy, Poor Boy" • "Me, Myself and Murdoch" • "This One Goes to Eleven" • "Blood and Circuses" • "Future Imperfect" • "Love and Human Remains" • "The Curse of Beaton Manor" • "Hangman" • "In the Altogether" • "The Tesla Effect"|
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7• Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10