|"Dead End Street"|
|Air date||July 13, 2011|
|Written by||Carol Hay|
|Directed by||Laurie Lynd|
|Recurring||Jonathan Watton as Dr.Darcy Garland|
"Dead End Street" is the sixth episode of the fourth season of the Murdoch Mysteries and the forty-fifth episode of the series.
While attending an agricultural show, Detective Murdoch is amazed at the quality and detail of a miniature street scene that is on display. It includes several houses and several miniature residents. It also includes a man standing in a second floor room pointing a rifle. Murdoch quickly concludes that he is looking at the recreation of a murder scene. He quickly finds the Toronto neighborhood depicted in the model and learns that it was created by Lydia Howland, an idiot-savant who does not speak but has a photographic memory. He is certain that she witnessed a murder and now has to figure how to get at her memories and determine which of the people depicted in the miniature is the real-life killer.
Character Revelations Edit
- When Murdoch describes Lydia to Dr. Ogden as "A mysterious combination of emotional unawareness and acute intellect." Julia says, under her breath with a smile, "That's a good description of someone I know." We can assume she means William.
- Crabtree's dog is mentioned in this episode.
Historical References Edit
- The events of this episode occur at least 8 months after Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee (June 22 1897) placing the events of this episode in spring of 1898.
- James Henry Pullen (1835–1916), also known as the Genius of Earlswood Asylum, was a British autistic savant, possibly suffering from aphasia. After Pullen's death, his workshop became a museum of his work until the Royal Earlswood Hospital was closed in 1997.
- Julia explains what an idiot savant is to Murdoch, but in season 1, Murdoch explains the term to Crabtree.
- It is possible however that Murdoch was just acting polite rather than saying that he knew.
Main Cast Edit
Recurring Cast Edit
Guest Cast Edit
Liisa Repo-Martell as Lydia Howland
Catherine Disher as Mrs. Galbraith
Adam MacDonald as Bert Howland
Robert Fulton as Mr. Galbraith
Jonathan Wilson as Felix Roach
Jessica Greco as Mrs. Caruso
Matthew Deslippe as Mr. Caruso
Brian Sweetapple as Mr. Draper
Megan Dunlop as Mrs. Gordon
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 4|
| "All Tattered and Torn" • "Kommando" • "Buffalo Shuffle" • "Downstairs, Upstairs" • "Monsieur Murdoch" • "Dead End Street" • "Confederate Treasure" • "Dial M for Murdoch" • "The Black Hand" • "Voices" • "Bloodlust" • "The Kissing Bandit" • "Murdoch in Wonderland"|
Web-Series: The Curse of the Lost Pharaohs
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7