|"Blast of Silence"|
|Air date||March 31, 2014|
|Written by||Peter Mitchell|
|Directed by||Peter Mitchell|
|Previous||Kung Fu Crabtree|
|Next||The Death of Dr. Ogden|
"Blast of Silence" is the seventeenth episode of the seventh season of the Murdoch Mysteries and the ninety-fifth episode of the series. It first aired March 31, 2014.
A local industrialist, Richard Welch, is found tied up to the top of a telephone pole with a noise-activated bomb strapped to his chest. The mayor of Toronto orders all industries in the area shut down and the police do their best to keep the noise pollution to a minimum, but eventually, finding himself under pressure, the mayor eventually relents and work resumes. However, the bomb goes off beforehand, due to a backfiring car. Sometime later, a new victim is found with a similar bomb: the mayor himself. Intending to sacrifice himself for the sake of Toronto, he leaves Murdoch 3 hours to find the culprit and deactivate the device. Meanwhile, Julia is increasingly frustrated as Murdoch has yet to ask her the big question.
Character Revelations Edit
- The hint of sophisticated comedy between them begins, when Julia awaits William in his office, but the "something important" he wants to ask her is about the case, not marriage.
- At the Asylum over tea, Emily confesses that every time she tries to talk to George, she puts her foot in her mouth.
- Julia receives an unexpected call from her father asking to talk with her in person.
- At the morgue, Henry Higgins invites Dr. Grace to the Agricultural Fair, but it doesn't quite go over as intended.
- At the Station House, Julia tells William she's going to visit her father and invites him along to meet Dr. Lionel Ogden, suggesting that perhaps he might have something to ask him, but William is summoned to City Hall for a reception, and with a peck on her cheek he leaves.
- Julia takes the opportunity to put in a good word for Emily to George.
Historical References Edit
- Development and progress in Toronto was critical in the 1900s. Construction and renovation was taking place everywhere, as two eras tried to merge with one another with uncomfortable results.
Chantal Craig as Cecily Welsh
Jeffrey Knight as Wallace Pike
Irene Poole as Mrs. Pike
Michael Spencer-Davis as Bradley Fowler
Gord Rand as Travis Macquire
Alanis Peart as Mrs. Cunnyworth
Patrick Galligan as Deputy Mayor
Stephen LeBail as Fireman
Carson Durvan as Blacksmith
Don Tripe as Buggyman
Darryn Lucio as Car Driver
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 7|
| "Murdoch Ahoy" • "Tour de Murdoch" • "The Filmed Adventures of Detective William Murdoch" • "Return of Sherlock Holmes" • "Murdoch of the Living Dead" • "Murdochophobia" • "Loch Ness Murdoch" • "Republic of Murdoch" • "A Midnight Train to Kingston" • "Murdoch in Ragtime" • "Journey to the Centre of Toronto" • "Unfinished Business" • "The Murdoch Sting"•"Friday the 13th, 1901"•"The Spy Who Came Up to the Cold"•"Kung Fu Crabtree"•"Blast of Silence"•"The Death of Dr. Ogden"|
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7 • Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10