|"Big Murderer on Campus"|
|Air date||March 17, 2009|
|Written by||Carol Hay|
|Directed by||Laurie Lynd|
|Guest Stars||Ted Atherton as Albert Godfrey|
|Recurring|| Lachlan Murdoch as Henry Higgins|
Michael Seater as James Gillies
Marc Bendavid as Robert Perry
|Previous||"Shades of Grey"|
"Big Murderer on Campus" is the seventh episode of the second season of the Murdoch Mysteries and the twentieth episode of the series.
Detective Murdoch investigates the murder of university professor Samuel Bennett, who was shot through the head while looking through his telescope at his university residence. He becomes aware that another member of the faculty, physics professor Albert Godfrey, frequently argued with Bennett. Throughout the investigation, Murdoch is shadowed by two inquisitive students. Constable Crabtree puts an ad in the paper in an effort to locate his biological mother. As a baby, he was left on the church steps and was raised by the Minister and his family. His newspaper ad produces two women who claim to be his mother. When he is shot during the investigation, Murdoch takes the opportunity to identify which of the two is his mother. Murdoch's relationship with Dr. Julia Ogden is at a low ebb. With her recent revelations, a chill has descended on their budding romance and they have returned to being very formal with one another.
Character Revelations Edit
- George Crabtree was a foundling. He searches for and finds his mother.
- William and Julia remain at odds about her having had an abortion. At the end of the episode William asks her to accompany him to a battery exhibition. She declines since she has work to complete.
- This episode marks the first appearance of recurring villain James Gillies.
Historical References Edit
- The two women who answer to George's ad are named Emily and Gracie, which is similar to George's future sweetheart Emily Grace. Gracie, George's real mother, additionally has the last name of Brooks, which is the same last name of Edna Brooks (née Garrison), another one of George's future sweethearts.
- The song playing at the beginning of the episode, "The Honeysuckle and the Bee", was not released until 1901.
Michael C. Newsome as Professor Samuel Bennett
Paul O'Sullivan as Man With Cart
Craig McDermott as Student #1
Tim Daughulis as Student #2
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 2|
| "Mild Mild West" • "Snakes and Ladders" • "Dinosaur Fever" • "Houdini Whodunit" • "The Green Muse" • "Shades of Grey" • "Big Murderer on Campus" • "I, Murdoch" • "Convalescence" • "Murdoch.com" • "Let Us Ask the Maiden" • "Werewolves" • "Anything You Can Do..."|
Season 1 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7